Associate Membership is open to directors who are working professionally but whose credits are not covered under the current Directors UK distribution scheme and are therefore ineligible for royalty payments.
You might be screening your features or short films at curated public film festivals, creating advertising promos or branded content, or directing music videos, video games or VR projects. If so, Associate Membership is for you.
In order to be considered for membership, we ask applicants to provide evidence of a director credit on a minimum of two completed audiovisual works.
It’s easy to apply for Associate Membership: simply submit your details via our online application form. Once you’ve submitted your application, we will be in touch to request:
- evidence of your directing credits (see our eligibility criteria below)
- photo ID
- a copy of your CV
After five years of membership, Associate Members will be asked to provide evidence of a further professional directing credit to ensure that this membership is still relevant for you.
Associate Members who go on to gain credits that are eligible under the Directors UK distribution schemes would be eligible for Full or Distribution-Only Membership, and will be contacted to change their membership.
In order to be considered for Associate Membership, we ask applicants to provide evidence of a director credit on a minimum of two completed audiovisual works. We will accept the following as evidence of sufficient industry or public recognition:
- A short or feature film selected to screen at a curated public film festival (qualifying festivals include those listed in the British Council festival directory, FIAPF or BAFTA-accredited lists, or select festivals endorsed by Directors UK). We will accept a copy of an official selection email or letter (including FilmFreeway or WithoutABox selection emails) or a festival programme listing (either a link, screenshot or scan, provided we can clearly identify the festival and edition).
- Completed professional advertising promo campaign or professional music video. We will accept proof of contract or a payment agreement, or industry press and marketing naming you as director.
- Released video game or VR project. We will accept proof of contract or a payment agreement, or industry press and marketing naming you as director.
- Represented for directing work by an agent or agency registered with the Personal Managers Association (PMA).We will accept a copy of your contract with the agent, or letterhead reference from them.
- Director contract with a recognised producer for a film in funded development or production.
- Distribution contract for a short film or feature, with a distributor who is listed with the Film Distributors’ Association.
- Bafta Crew selection.
- Content selected, commissioned or published by online platforms such as:
We accept evidence of any of the above in the form of an email, letter, contract, agreement, festival programme, festival listing, festival invitation or online publication. You can provide us with a screenshot, link, PDF or scan. Any screenshot must be of sufficient size that we’re able to identify the source, publisher or festival.
If you have any questions about what to provide, then please contact us at [email protected].
After five years, in order to continue your membership, Associate Members will be asked to supply one of the above as proof of a new work created during the time you’ve been a member.