Communications and Digital Assistant
Directors UK is the professional association of UK screen directors. It is a membership organisation representing the creative, economic and contractual interests of over 8,000 members – the majority of working TV and film directors in the UK. Directors UK negotiates rights deals and collects and distributes royalties to its members. It also campaigns and lobbies on its members’ behalf and provides a range of services including legal advice, events and career development. Directors UK works closely with fellow organisations around the world to represent directors’ rights and concerns, promotes excellence in the craft of direction and champions change to the current landscape to create an equal opportunity industry for all.
Job role and duties:
To support the communications team in the day-to-day delivery of communications, PR, digital and social media activity to help raise the profile and awareness of Directors UK as the authoritative voice for UK screen directors; and to assist in promoting and delivering its member services and campaigning activities to key stakeholders.
Key Relationships/Reporting to:
• Communications and Public Relations Manager
• Digital Communications Manager
Head of Department: Director of Communications and Public Affairs
Key Responsibilities include the following:
• Assist the communications team in delivering impactful communications and PR activity to support Directors UK’s work and to raise awareness of Directors UK to potential-members and the wider industry.
• Support the communications team in creating appropriate and engaging content for social media including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn etc and monitoring comments and feedback on social media, responding/referring up as necessary.
• Assist the Digital Communications Manager in creating content for the website and member newsletter, including using content management systems to upload and layout information, and delivering reciprocal marketing opportunities.
• Assist the Communications and Public Relations Manager in the creation of corporate, comms and campaign materials according to our brand guidelines, including slides/ print /audio-visual materials.
• Monitor industry news to identify relevant stories and researching ideas for digital content and PR opportunities.
• Provide communications, PR and social media support at screenings, events and stakeholder meetings (will include attendance at some internal and external evening events), including supporting requests for branding /merchandising/slide creation in advance.
• Support in managing member data, list generation and membership analysis, as required.
• Assist the Director of Communications and Public Affairs in research for consultation responses, lobbying materials, meetings as required.
• General admin support for communications team including research, admin, logistics etc.
• Assist with member queries relating to the website, as well as field general member communications queries to appropriate members of the team.
• Working with teams across the organisation to support communications needs.
• Actively contributing to wider organisational, communications and campaign projects and priorities.
The above list of job duties is not exclusive or exhaustive and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks as may reasonably be expected within the scope of the role.
Essential Skills and Experience
Applicants should have the following qualities:
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Knowledge of digital and social media.
• An interest in and knowledge of the film and television industry/creative sector.
• Friendly, positive and team-driven approach with a ‘can do’ attitude.
• The ability to work well under pressure, in a team and independently.
• Flexibility to be able to work effectively in a changing environment.
• Good organisational skills, able to prioritise multiple delivery deadlines.
• Attention to detail.
• Good relationship management skills.
• Good research skills.
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Outlook;
Desirable Skills and Experience:
• Previous communications or social media experience.
• Website content management systems (CMS) experience.
• Experience of working in a membership organisation.
Terms of employment
Reporting to: Communications and Public Relations Manager; Digital Communications Manager
Salary: £26,000 PA
Hours: 9.30am - 5.30pm (with occasional evening and weekend work)
Work Days: Monday - Friday
Location: Our office is located at 22 Stukeley Street, London, WC2B but all staff are currently working from home due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Going forward, we expect to maintain some flexibility with a mix of home working and office-based working, with in person attendance required at some events..
Contract: Full Time permanent
• Holidays: 25 days per year (plus all public and bank holidays) pro rata
• Company Pension Scheme opt in entitlement
• Company Cycle to Work Scheme
• Company Perkbox discounts membership
Directors UK is an equal opportunities employer; we welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, gender, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.
Applicants must have the right to work in the UK.
This appointment is subject to satisfactory references and completion of a 3-Month probationary period.
How to apply
To apply please send to: [email protected]
• a personal statement as to why you consider yourself suited to this role (maximum 500 words) and
• a CV
Applications closing date: Sunday 12 June 2022
First round of interviews are due to take place: Wednesday 22 and Thursday 23 June 2022 via online video call (please let us know of any access arrangements that may be necessary).
Second round of interviews are due to take place: Tuesday 28 June 2022 via online video call (please let us know of any access arrangements that may be necessary).
Please note that only candidates shortlisted for interview will be contacted.
Candidate Privacy Notice:
Please see our document here for full details in regard to the General Data Protection Regulations 2018