Would you like to advance your factual / documentary directing career to the next level?
Directors UK is offering a tailored strategic workshop to members who are looking to advance their craft in factual within broadcast, streaming and/or feature film.
This workshop will take the form of a small online group session focused on exploring how to effectively transition your existing body of work to help enhance your director’s profile towards achieving your factual / documentary ambitions.
This workshop is a fantastic opportunity for Full and Associate members to take control of their professional profile and career path in a safe space with an industry expert.
This workshop will be led by Cynthia De Souza — a freelance talent and development executive with a consistently strong track record, and a proven diversity influencer. She has assessed thousands of directors’ reels and creative content to identify, champion, nurture and produce world-class and award-winning directors and projects.
Her career spans over twenty years across the full spectrum of short films, high-end film and TV development, production and broadcast commissioning, public sector film funds, global commercial markets, co-production project forums, acquisitions for international platforms and festival exhibition.
This session will be taking place on Thursday 29 September 2022 from 10:00-13:15 via Zoom.
Points of discussion will include:
- Overview of director’s career background and aspirations moving forward
- Industry challenges and how best to overcome them
- Effective ways to enhance your director profile and creative vision, including showreels, teasers and proof-of-concepts.
- Other profile materials which impact your presentation, including biography, website, online presence.
- Brief pitch of passion project (if applicable) and strategic thinking for funding / commissioning, market potential and making the project a reality.
How to apply
Directors UK welcomes applications from Full and Associate members.
To apply, please email [email protected] with the subject line, ‘Strategic Workshop for Factual Directors’ and send the following materials:
- Up to date CV
- Personal Statement – please provide no more than 500 words focusing on why you require this workshop at this moment in your career. Please note, this should not be a biography as we should be able to gain information about your career-to-date from your CV.
For advice on applications, check out our article on putting your best foot forward when applying for programmes.
The deadline for applications is 12pm on Friday 9 September.
Directors UK member testimonies
“I was impressed at how much preparation Cynthia had done before the meeting, it made the session very bespoke and she knew all about my relevant work already. She had a lot of advice, both general and specific.”
“Cynthia has extensive knowledge of the film industry and its current important players. She is intelligent, sincere and simply lovely to chat with. I needed real insight on certain projects and Cynthia helped me create an easy to follow, detailed plan which has already proven invaluable.”
If you would like to arrange a private 1-to-1 meeting with Cynthia, check out our discount offer to Full and Associate Directors UK members.
Diversity and inclusion
Applications are encouraged from female directors, directors of colour, disabled, d/Deaf and neurodivergent directors, members of the LGBTQ+ community, and those based in the Nations and Regions, as the industry recognises that all are currently under-represented within the film and television industry.