DIRECTORS UK STATEMENT ON TACKLING ABUSE, BULLYING AND SEXUAL HARASSMENT
23 October 2017
Following a discussion at the Directors UK Viewfinder event on Saturday 21st October, Directors UK have released a statement in light of recent disturbing revelations about abuse, bullying and sexual harassment within the film industry.
“We condemn any form of harassment, abuse, bullying and sexual assault within the film and television industry; such behaviour is unacceptable and must not be tolerated in our profession, on any level.
As the association of screen directors we will work independently and in partnership with key industry organisations to ensure this attitude and behaviour is eliminated. We are aware of several industry initiatives and will support and work with them to actively tackle abuse and the abusers.
Directors play a key role – as the creative lead of a production – and can help create a safe and supportive working environment for cast and crew. Our own behaviour and attitudes must be reflective and respectful of others and the law, to ensure that there is no place for abusive behaviour on our productions or within the industry.
Directors UK continues to be committed to equality on productions. We have called for better representation of women both on and off screen. Our report, commissioned in 2016, highlighted the gender imbalance in production crews and senior management roles, and the challenges women face when developing their career in film and television.
We urgently need greater equality and diversity in employment to help create a more inclusive and balanced industry and to eliminate abusive behaviour and attitudes.”
NOTES TO EDITORS:
· Directors UK is the professional association of UK screen directors. It is a membership organisation representing the creative, economic and contractual interests of over 6,500 members - the majority of working TV and film directors in the UK. Directors UK collects and distributes royalty payments and provides a range of services to members including campaigning, commercial negotiations, legal advice, events, training and career development. Directors UK works closely with fellow organisations around the world to represent directors’ rights and concerns, promotes excellence in the craft of direction and champions change to the current landscape to create an equal opportunity industry for all.
· Formerly known as the Directors’ Conference, the Directors’ Viewfinder is a day of discussion and debate focussing on the issues that affect all Directors’ UK members, including how the organisation can work to better represent them, and how members can make the most of their membership. Throughout the day all attending members are invited to give contributions, feedback and advice.
· Further information can be found at www.directors.uk.com
· To become a member of Directors UK for access to training, benefits and discounts, please visit www.directors.uk.com/join or contact us directly at [email protected]
· Directors UK Social Media handle: @Directors_UK