DIRECTORS UK SPONSORS EXCLUSIVE PANEL SESSION AT SHEFFIELD DOC/FEST 2017
8 June 2017
Directors UK, the professional association for British screen directors, is pleased to be sponsoring a panel event at the Sheffield Doc/Fest this year.
The Sheffield Doc/Fest – taking place 9th-14th June 2017 – is the UK’s premier documentary festival, celebrating the art and business of documentary and all non-fiction storytelling.
Directors UK will be hosting a new session “Standing Out from the Crowd: The Director’s voice in Factual TV”, at midday (12pm) on Tuesday 13 June. This session will explore how directors can utilise their individual skills to make outstanding television that will leave an impression. Featuring an experienced panel of directors, including Dan Reed (3 Days of Terror: The Charlie Hebdo Attacks & Frontline Fighting: Battling ISIS), Bruce Goodison (Born To Kill & Murdered By My Father) and Amanda Richardson (Babies Behind Bars & Chelsea Pensioners: Girls Allowed), the session will be moderated by director Louise Say (Extreme Homes & Jupiter's Dangerous Secrets).
With decades worth of experience between them in a range of documentary series and formats, the panel will discuss how they have been able to creatively shape shows and what methods they have used to get their own distinctive directorial voices heard, within the constraints of Factual TV.
Abigail Berry, Member Services and Events Manager at Directors UK said:
“We’re thrilled to be working with Sheffield Doc/Fest again this year. Last year our session was incredibly well received so to have the opportunity again to speak to, inspire and share ideas with so many people within the industry is a great privilege. It is such a great event for directors to attend. The festival is an opportunity for all members of our factual community and factual filmmakers to come together to broaden their creative horizons, learn more about new developments and trends, and network and build connections with production companies and commissioners. It’s important that we at Directors UK continue to create and support new opportunities for directors to learn, be inspired and develop their skills where possible."
Sheffield Doc/Fest comprises of a mix of inspirational documentary films and shorts, from across the globe, alternate realities programme, talks, sessions, discussion panels and in-depth filmmaker masterclasses. Sheffield Doc/Fest offers filmmakers an essential platform to launch their films at one of the world’s leading documentary festivals.
Additional information is available on the Directors UK website at www.directors.uk.com.
Notes to Editors:
• DIRECTORS UK is the professional association of UK screen directors. It is a membership organisation representing the creative, economic and contractual interests of over 6,500 members - the majority of working TV and film directors in the UK. Directors UK collects and distributes royalty payments and provides a range of services to members including campaigning, commercial negotiations, legal advice, events, training and career development. Directors UK works closely with fellow organisations around the world to represent directors’ rights and concerns, promotes excellence in the craft of direction and champions change to the current landscape to create an equal opportunity industry for all.
• Read more about our panel at https://directors.uk.com/news/directors-uk-at-sheffield-doc-fest-2017/
• To become a member of Directors UK for access to more benefits and discounts, please visit www.directors.uk.com/join or contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org
• Further information can be found at www.directors.uk.com
• Directors UK Social Media handle: @Directors_UK