DIRECTORS UK PARTNERS WITH BFI LONDON FILM FESTIVAL ON INDUSTRY PROGRAMME EVENT EXPLORING THE CASTING CONUNDRUM.
3 October 2017
Directors UK, the professional association of UK screen directors, is proudly partnering with the 61st BFI London Film Festival to host a panel looking at the casting conundrum, with the Casting Society of America (CSA) as part of the festival’s industry events programme for filmmakers and industry professionals.
The session, Casting and the Greenlight; The Chicken and Egg Conundrum, will look at the creative partnership between the director, casting agent and cast at the early stages of a production. The session will take place on Friday 6 October, at Picturehouse Central.
The panel includes former Screen Star of Tomorrow director John Maclean (Slow West), the Oscar and BAFTA-winning producer Iain Canning (Lion, The King’s Speech, Shame), producer Daisy Allsop (Orthodox, Tell it to the Bees), casting directors, Lucinda Syson (Wonder Woman, Blade Runner 2049, Gravity) and Debbie McWilliams (Stars Don’t Die in Liverpool, Spectre, Skyfall, Caravaggio) who will discuss the casting director-producer relationship, strategies for negotiating cast without financing in place and how the producer, the casting director and the financier can work towards creative solutions during development.
This session will be followed by a networking drinks reception for delegates.
The BFI London Film Festival is Britain’s leading film event and one of the world’s best film festivals, featuring a diverse selection of 242 feature films from both established and emerging talent.
As part of a continuing collaboration with key industry organisations, Directors UK is committed to championing the craft of directing and providing members with significant opportunities to connect with the international film industry and gain an insight into other areas of the industry that has an impact on their work.
Abigail Berry, Member Services and Events Manager at Directors UK, says: "It’s such an honour to be working with the BFI and the CSA at such an important event. The BFI London Film Festival is one of the world’s most significant film festivals and hosting two events that supports key individuals that bring these films to screen is a great for us. As an organisation which represents screen directors working in all mediums, we recognise the importance of providing insightful and sociable events that help gain vital knowledge, and opportunities to create and build connections with others within the industry that we hope will lead to new opportunities in the future.”
Taking place on Friday 6 October, 15:30-17:00, at Picturehouse Central, Screen 4, as part of BFI London Film Festival.
The session is open to festival delegates, see www.bfi.org.uk/lff for details.
· Casting and the Greenlight; The Chicken and Egg Conundrum takes place on Friday 6 October, 15:30-17:00, at Picturehouse Central, Screen 4, as part of BFI London Film Festival industry events for filmmakers and industry professionals.
· Networking Reception for delegates takes place at Picturehouse Central Members Bar, on Friday 6 October, 1700-1830.
· The session is open to festival delegates, see www.bfi.org.uk/lff for details.
· This event is part of the 61st BFI London Film Festival.
ABOUT DIRECTORS UK:
· Directors UK is the professional association of UK screen directors. It is a membership organisation representing the creative, economic and contractual interests of over 6,500 members - the majority of working TV and film directors in the UK. Directors UK collects and distributes royalty payments and provides a range of services to members including campaigning, commercial negotiations, legal advice, events, training and career development. Directors UK works closely with fellow organisations around the world to represent directors’ rights and concerns, promotes excellence in the craft of direction and champions change to the current landscape to create an equal opportunity industry for all.
· Further information can be found at www.directors.uk.com
· To become a member of Directors UK for access to training, benefits and discounts, please visit www.directors.uk.com/join or contact us directly at [email protected]
· Directors UK Social Media handle: @Directors_UK